The story behind 'Emancipated.'

Thursday, August 11, 2011

I wanted to talk a little about why I wrote Emancipated, and why it was such a powerful and important piece to me.
As someone who experienced infertility and the traumas of assisted conception first hand, the hardest part of the entire process was always managing the negative emotions that went with it. I managed to form a circle of friends all of whom were facing infertility problems of varying degrees, and I became aware that all of us were feeling these same emotions and having these same thoughts, and we all carried enormous guilt for them. Any time that we voiced them, we were ‘bitter’ or ‘jealous’ and it really made the entire thing so much harder to cope with.
It is important to me that we acknowledge these thoughts and emotions of negativity and accept them, with an understanding of where they come from and why they exist. They don’t make us monsters, they are understandable and valid experiences. The more people I was able to get this message through to, the better – and as a result, the more I heard from women feeling the same who were able to say “thank god I am not alone, thank god someone has said it’s okay to feel the way that I do about this…”


Emancipated is included in my ebook, The Result of Coercion.

No comments:

Post a Comment