Books. Good ones.

Thursday, June 28, 2012



So I might have stepped on a few toes lately on Facebook with my perpetual links to snarky critiques of the horror that is 50 Shades Of Grey. To be clear, it's not horror genre, it's horror writing. It's a horrible, painful stringing together of words that frustrates me beyond belief. As someone who wants to write, who loves to write, who appreciates excellent writing - I found it frustrating. Maybe even angering. But I won't be dedicating a post to that pile of steaming excrement.

Instead, I am going to direct you to some stuff that is REALLY worth reading. This is the best way to fight back against shite writing - really good writing. Since I begged Allen & Unwin for an ARC (Advance Release Copy) of Susan Johnson's My Hundred Lovers, they hooked me up with a blog that does these reviews all the time. Bree's blog, All the Books I Can Read is a book review blog that I am so excited to have found. It's certainly enriched my life, as has Bree herself, providing me with recommendations via twitter, as well as reviews on her blog. Books! Wonderful books!!!

Before getting to Bree's stuff, and after enjoying My Hundred Lovers so much, I asked Allen & Unwin on twitter, what else they currently felt was a good read. They suggested two books that Blew. Me. Away. Firstly, I read The J.M. Barrie Ladies' Swimming Society by Barbara J. Zitwer. I loved this book, because the characters were so well drawn, they just engaged me and were different enough to the same old same old to fascinate. The story was well written too, and I enjoyed how easy it was to read. Bliss after the pain of 50 shades.

Next up was Nicole Trope's The Boy Under The Table. I don't know if I can find the words for this one. It was brilliant. The writing was brilliant. The characters were brilliant. The emotion was palpable, and I literally could not put it down, finishing it in a mere two sittings and reading into the wee hours. I haven't done that in a long while. I loved everything about it. If you're going to choose just one of these books to read, make it this one - you won't regret it.

(They also recommended The Taliban Cricket Club but I haven't got to it yet).

After these two I was a bit lost, wondering where to next after two good books... There is nothing worse than the feeling of finishing a good book, it is a loss, for real. This is where Bree has saved the day! Her first suggestion for me, was Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. Oh. My. God. This is up there with Trope's book. I sobbed when I finished it, and it's been a long time since a book reduced me to tears. This is such a beautiful book, it's masterful. I adored it.

Then I read her suggestions of Sophie Kinsella's I've Got Your Number (awesome chick lit, readable, fun and a gorgeous protagonist as always in Sophie's books), and Trish Doller's Something Like Normal - quite a heartstring tugger about a young marine who comes home for leave from Afghanistan after seeing his best friend killed. It's a love story with a new angle, I really loved it. These were followed by two books from Jennifer L. Armentrout's Lux series - Obsidian and Shadows. I liked Obsidian for a few reasons, but the most impacting was reading of a young adult female protagonist that was not a simpering, blithering idiot turned to mush by a good looking guy. In fact she tells him to bugger off often for being a jerk, despite wanting to just crumble and be with him. Take THAT Bella Swan and Anastasia Steele. YES!

I have started Fiona Higgins The Mothers Group too, but being in such a non newborn or mumsy headspace at the moment (which sounds quite terrible for my kids but it's not really, I swear!) I haven't got into it properly yet, I will though.

Next up on my kindle waiting for me to dive in are these 2 -


Red Queen by Honey Brown. 

Unravelling by Elizabeth Norris.

If all this looks familiar, it's because it basically follows all Bree's reviews on her blog, lol. Her reviews make me want to buy and read and read and buy... She's bad for my bank account but I love it!!!

Before I go, I need to mention again how desperate I am to read Everything Left Unsaid by Jessica Davidson. I've sent an email to her publicist, who has assured me of an ARC, so fingers crossed it arrives soon because the official release date is still a month off. Comeeeee Onnnnn!

No comments:

Post a Comment