Reflection

Tuesday, October 25, 2011



When Finn was a baby, I used to sing The Beatles "All My Lovin" to him as a lullaby. Mostly because it started with "close your eyes" and that was my desperate goal! I've told him this over the years, and he smiles and indulges me. Recently, his school began playing Beatles songs as a precursor to the school bell at the start of the day, and at the end of recess and lunch times. He came home one day, a silly smile on his face, telling me that they had played 'close your eyes.' I said to him "lucky I wasn't there, I'd have cried and hugged you and cried myyyy bayyybeeeeee" he looked as appropriately horrified as an 8 year old would at such a thought! I promised I'd not really do that, I'd just want to.

Yesterday, whilst waiting for school assembly, guess what song came over the school speakers? He looked at me, I looked at him, and we both gave one another goofy smiles. I teared up, and was grateful that he was a good distance away to not notice. The urge to run and rock him was quite strong! Instead, I remembered those nights, holding him as a wee small baby to my shoulder, singing softly, and patting him to sleep whilst I looked at the boy he was growing into in front of me, and felt a surge of pride in the smart, kind, and creative child he has become. I'm doing okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment